WELCOME “BIENVENUTI” TO THE GRAND LODGE OF MARYLAND
ORDER SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF ITALY SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Members of OSIA Lodges from the state of Maryland and throughout the country provide scholarships. Italian – Americans are proud to recognize exceptional students for outstanding accomplishments! “Tanti auguri”
OSIA was established to assist our early ancestors as they began life in this new world. The founders of OSIA knew the importance of helping our young obtain an education as a vital step to a successful life in this new country.
Originally called “Figli d’ltalia,” the Order Sons of Italy in America® was established in the Little Italy neighborhood of New York City on June 22, 1905, by Vincenzo Sellaro, M.D., and five other Italian immigrants who came to the United States during the great Italian migration (1880-1923). Their aim was to create a support system for all Italian immigrants that would assist them with becoming U.S. citizens, provide health/death benefits and educational opportunities and offer assistance with assimilation in America.
To date millions have been given to assist the children and grandchildren of our initial American immigrants. To quote Dr. Maria Montessori, the great Italian educator, “Within the child lies the fate of the future.” “Nel bimbo rimane la sorte del futuro”. Talented young adults deserve to be applauded for their academic and personal achievements. Our future rests with them.
The Grand Lodge Scholarship Program has been established to:
• Provide financial assistance for the qualified students of Italian ancestry.
• Help them realize their highest potential as citizens and leaders of their community, state and nation.
The Grand Lodge of Maryland seeks to encourage participation from students who will be pursuing full time post-secondary instruction in diverse fields. Educational pursuits is encouraged to enable students to attain vocational or professional skills necessary in an increasingly complex and competitive society. It is hoped that this program will provide these students with the impetus for life-long learning and the motivation necessary to achieve any educational goals.
- All Maryland residents of Italian ancestry who are American citizens and are either members of, or related to members of the OSIA of Maryland, for at least one year,
- The program will provide scholarship assistance to eligible students for study at the post-secondary level which includes four-year colleges, two-year colleges and accredited or state approved technical/trade schools. The program does not provide scholarships for graduate study or for study in post-baccalaureate professional schools.
- Applicants must demonstrate financial need to be considered for scholarship assistance which will be determmed from the infonnation on the scholarship application form and from other data as requested in the section on application procedures.
- Applicants must have a record of academic achievement in their previous schoolwork, and must demonstrate sufficient aptitude as indicated by their total school record, school reconunendations and any standardized tests that will predict their ability to benefit from further study. The committee will also consider maturity and motivation as important factors in determining an applicant’s capacity to achieve educational goals.
- Scholarships will be awarded on an annual basis. While applicants are eligible to apply every year, there is no automatic carry over award from one year to the next.
- Scholarships will be made payable to the school upon evidence of registration by the student for the first semester or subsequent future semester.
Click here to download the application.
The application must be correctly and fully complete by March 31, 2019
It must be addressed to Scholarship Chairperson-Grand Lodge of Maryland and mailed to:
Grand Lodge of MD for Sons of Italy in America,
P.O. Box 85
Perry Hall, MD 21128
“Buona Fortuna” / Good Luck!